1 hour ago
Wednesday, 21 July 2010
I was delighted to receive this sewing themed stamp set by Creative Expressions and a journal from The Altered Element as this month's design team project. The stamp set is delicious and will have a multitude of uses and the journal is just right for recording colour themes and tips from classes. The stamps were calling out for fabric so I decided to create a stamped cover for the journal.
First I cut a piece of calico for the cover, adding an inch each way for seam allowances. This was sprayed with Ranger Colourwash (available from The Altered Element). The more observant of you may note that I didn't iron the calico first! I prefer the marbled look caused by spraying crumpled fabric.
After drying, I ironed the fabric and then stamped repeatedly with Jacquard Lumiere paints (available from The Altered Element) to give background interest.
After stamping I quilted the centre piece (the area forming the front and back covers, not the inners) using a piece of recycled blanket as backing.
I then stamped some accent pieces and sewed them to the front of the journal. Further accents were sewn.
When this was completed I folded the covers inside out and sewed them down. The cover was turned and slipped on. I created slits for the metal closures, which were tied with a co-ordinating ribbon. Lastly a tiny wooden cotton reel (available from The Altered Element) was tied to the page ribbon to complete the look.