Thursday, 22 April 2010

Altered Element DT - Distressed cuff

In my April project pack I received a whole host of delightful goodies - black lutradur, a silver textiles pack and a yummy pot of Cosmic Shimmers Arctic Black embossing powder. Lots of ideas came to mind, especially for jewellery, but in the end I decided that I was just in the mood for a gothic style cuff.

Firstly, I cut identical rectangular pieces from some black felt, plum polyester satin and the lutradur. I cut them approx 8 inches by 2 inches, you need to make sure it fits around your wrist and add up to an inch for heat shrinkage. I layered the felt on the bottom, then satin, then lutradur on top. I then zigzagged around the edge to secure. Next I randomly machine quilted the layers. A heat gun was then used to distress the top two layers.
I took a generous pinch of Lametta hair from the textiles pack and adhered this to one half of the cuff with random machine stitching. On top of this I couched some medium boullion wire into a double spiral.
Using a Big Shot, I cut a bird shape from the Aluminium from the pack, then embossed it using a Cuttlebug folder. I brushed an embossing pad over the raised surface, applied the embossing powder and heat embossed this twice to add extra texture and interest. Lastly I adhered some craft foam to the back for stability and sewed it onto the cuff. Silver coloured fastenings complete the item.
An accessory fit for a gothic princess.

I have loads left in my textiles pack so lots more to play with - I fancy a bib necklace to match. The packs are a real bargain - I've bought 2 more in other colours.